Wednesday 20 May 2015

Our Caterpillars Arrived!!!

Our baby caterpillars arrived today!!! 

**These are painted lady butterfly larvae

They came with this little package!! 

All the baby caterpillars arrived in this container (approx. 30 larvae) 


I started by laying all of these containers out that are included in the kit. I poked 3 pin sized wholes in the lids. These are little solo containers similar to the jello shot containers!!


I poured the premixed powder into the container and added approx 150ml the first time to create a firm cookie dough texture. I added a bit more water after as I found it was not mixing well. 


 
I put a little bit into each container and pushed it with my thumb to the bottom. I suggest that you make sure it pushed down and some bubbled released as you do not want the mixture to trap or crush the larvae. 


 
Now for the fun part (and a bit tricky). You need to take the lid and netting from the top so you can access the caterpillars. The kit includes a paint brush and a spoon to help guide them into the cups. The kit says 1-2 in each container but i had to do 3 in each as they did not provide me with the right amount of cups for that amount. 



After 10 minutes of harrassing these little guys they are FINALLY safe in their cups. They will now grow from caterpillars to cystalisis'. I finally told my firsties what we were doing! They are very excited for get to watch the butterfly lifecycle!! 



Wish us luck and enjoy the journey!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment